Sunday, March 1, 2009

Back with the Gang!

A Very Fast Group
Today was a fun & painful day on the bike. There were a lot of studs on this ride and the urban assault rides in San Diego paid off. We started at the Woodman trail head and headed for the Falcon Trail. Once we hit the single track it was game on. I struggled somewhat on the climbs and lost contact with the front group, but we regrouped every 15 – 20 minutes. After an hour or so, I seemed to be doing better and wasn’t getting dropped on the climbs. Every time this group gets together it’s like a race. My legs were feeling yesterday’s run, but I was stronger than I expected and held my own. This was a good intensive mountain bike ride which I haven't done this year. The lunch time road rides in SD are where I've been getting my intensity this year, so this ride was not a complete shock to the system.

Kara, Stud of Studs, Climbing on her Single Speed

Everyone on this ride is fast and tough. Guys like Dan & Kara Durland who do 24 hour solo races, Leadville 100 and other epic races on single speeds. Relatively few women even finish the Leadville 100 Mountain Bike Race. Kara finishes and wins year after year on her single speed!

Hitting Ute Park on the Way Home

After the ride, (about 3 hrs) I had to do what one has to do when they're training for the LeadMan. Ride some more. I continued on to Ute Park and did less intense but technical riding. My legs were really feeling the climbs but I was riding my beloved trails in my beloved Ute Park. After about 1 1/2 hours or so I headed home. This was also my first ride on my 2009 race bike. It's sweet!

Bike: 4.6 hrs, 37 miles, 3760'

Total for Week: Bike: 13.4 hrs, 152 miles Run: 7.9 hrs, 40.8 miles

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great group to be riding with. The kind that'd blow by me and make me cry!

    ReplyDelete